Thomas More Kempen (TM) is a part of KU Leuven association together with 11 other Hogescholen and the Katholieke Universiteit Brussel representing more than 70,000 students in 23 cities across Flanders. One of the TM research domains is ICT, with a specialisation on ICT and inclusion. With the WAI-NOT project (ICT for people with mental disabilities), TM was IST-prize nominee in 2005, won the SWIFT prize in 2006 and was e-inclusion award winner in 2012. TM is board member of VSNG, an umbrella organisation working in the field of digital literacy and e-inclusion. TM has a broad network of organisations working with people with different disabilities.
K-point, the research group on ICT and inclusion of Thomas More, has worked on the theme of ICT and inclusion for many years. K-point is well connected to the target group of people with intellectual disabilities in Flanders. In collaboration with WAI-NOT foundation, K-point has researched and developed tools that support people with intellectual disabilities to get access to Internet and communication tools. K-point has expertise in user centred design for people with intellectual disabilities, in close collaboration with the target group. K-point has expertise in development and implementation of accessible Interne applications, mobile technology for the target group of people with intellectual disabilities.
Previous projects in the same field
- VPad: VPad is a tool that supports people with intellectual disabilities to be safe on the road. It uses a cell phone that follows the user and informs a supervisor if the user deviates from the expected path.
- Internet for you: research on methodologies to deliver ICT training to people with intellectual disabilities. The result is a train-the-trainer for coaches.
- Internet Inclusive: This 3 year research program is trying to define better design rules for websites in order to make them accessible for people with intellectual disabilities. The research involves end users in order to obtain valid information about real expectations and skills of the target group members
- WAI-NOT: promotes the use of ICT for people with IDD. WAI-NOT supports their e-inclusion.
- 2008-2010 7KP 2008/1413 INCLUSO: KULeuven Social Software for inclusion of (marginalized) young people
- 2007 133948-LLP-2007-PL-European Certification of ICT Skills for People with mental Disabilities
- 2004-2006 11825-CP-1-2004-1-Comenius-C21 KHKempen, Belgium WAI-NOT: Internet for youngsters with intellectual disabilities – Dissemination actions
- 2001-2003 Minerva 90652CP12001 KHKempen, Belgium WAI-NOT: Internet for youngsters with intellectual disabilities.