Inclusion Europe aisbl., the European Association of Persons with Intellectual Disabilities and their Families, is the European voice and representation of 71 member organisations of people with intellectual disabilities and their families in 36 European countries. Founded in 1988, Inclusion Europe has a 24-year track record of successful operation and defending the rights of its constituency. Inclusion Europe is the only European-level organisation representing in a democratic and representative way the rights and interests of people with intellectual disabilities and their families. One of the unique characteristics of the organisation is that people with intellectual disabilities (called self-advocates) are directly and systematically involved in the work of Inclusion Europe.
Inclusion Europe and its members are active in all areas of life that concern people with intellectual disabilities and their families. One of the core activities of Inclusion Europe and its members is to facilitate full inclusion of people with intellectual disabilities and their families in the community. In this respect, Inclusion Europe is involved at EU level in all relevant EU policy areas such as accessibility in all its forms, non-discrimination, employment, social inclusion, education, life-long learning, and enlargement and organises conferences, training, exchanges and provides support to its members.
Inclusion Europe has a strong and well-developed communication service, reaching a vast amount and considerable variety of stakeholders, counting people with intellectual disabilities and their families, VET and service-providers, researchers, professionals as well as decision- and policy-makers at all levels. It provides accessible information in all EU languages, disseminating them through a complex set or print and electronic communication tools (including web 2.0) and numerous accessible events
Previous projects and publications in the same field
Recent projects include:
- Children’s Rights for All – JLS/2008/DAP3/AG/1328 – 30CE03124810022
- ADAP – JLS/2008/FRAC/AG/1317 – 30-CE-0306225/00-14
- Newpaths to inclusion – 2009-1-AT1-LEO05-01189
- DCI-NSA/2009/227-383 Full Inclusion in Development Aid for People with ID
- Coordination of European activities No. VS/2009/0069
- Coordination of European activities No. VS/2010/0035
- Coordination of European activities JUST/2011/PROG/OG/30-CE-0428304/00-94 DP
- TOPSIDE – 518166-LLP-1-2011-1-BE-GRUNDVIG-GMP
- Pathways to Lifelong Learning- 519328-LLP-1-2011-1-BE-KA4-KA4MP
- Hear our Voices – JUST/2011/FRAC/AG/2735
Some recent publications include:
- Information for all! European standards for making information easy to read and understand.
- Do not write for us without us. Guidelines on how to involve people with intellectual disabilities in the writing of texts that are easy to read and understand.
- Partners for Better Policies: A Manual for Mainstreaming.
- Accessibility Rules for Meetings and Conferences
- Recommendations for Accessible Elections in Europe
- The Specific Risks of Discrimination Against Persons in Situation of Major Dependence or with Complex Needs. Report of a European Study
- User Councils in Disability Services. Recommendations for good practice
- The European Directive for Equal Treatment in Employment and Occupation in easy-to-read language
- Equal rights for all! Access to Rights and Justice for people with intellectual disabilities